Saturday, February 16, 2019

Paint Colors: The Same, But Different

I was trying to make a change over from Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics to Golden Fluid Acrylics. I really like the feel of the Golden brand paint and it works really well with my airbrush (when thinned). 

I was getting frustrated recently with a practice model that I was airbrushing with Golden, as the colors were not looking like they should- looking a little bit greenish and off, which is not terribly attractive on a horse.

I took out my Liquitex bottles and realized that the "standard" colors are definitely different between the 2 brands, which was affecting my horse's color. 


Burnt Sienna
Pretty close, but slightly different. Liquitex looks slightly darker and more rich.


Raw Sienna
Very different! Liquitex looks like a shade of brown, where Golden has a mustard yellow appearance with a possible hint of green.


Burnt Umber
Golden only has a Burnt Umber Light, versus Liquitex's Burnt Umber, so Golden's is of course lighter in color.

Now I have to think a little bit more carefully about what colors and brands to use for the horse colors that I am trying to achieve. 

I guess I will be adding Liquitex back into my pallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment